The UQ Sport Academy (UQSA) has been providing strength and conditioning services for Netball Queensland since January 2010, coaching the Queensland U17, U19, U21 teams; as well as the Queensland Fusion and the Queensland Firebirds.
While working with Netball Queensland, UQSA staff have successfully implemented strength and conditioning programs that played a key role in helping Netball Queensland’s U19 team win a national championship in 2010.
After the first year success, UQSA athletic performance coordinator Anthony Wood was invited to work with the Queensland Firebirds to help them prepare for the 2011 ANZ Championship. After a grueling offseason of Wood’s training, the team went through the season undefeated followed by a magnificent victory in the ANZ National Championship Grand Final.
Firebirds Pre-Season Training
Find out about the Firebirds pre-season program.
- Queensland U19: National Champions (1st time in 9 years)
- Queensland U21: third place in nationals
- Queensland U17: Semi-finalists
- Australian U21 National Team selections: Steph Wood and Chanel Gomes
- AIS scholarships recipients: Steph Wood and Chanel Gomes
- Queensland Firebirds: ANZ National Champions
- Queensland Firebirds: undefeated season (first time in team history)
- Queensland Fusion: third in Australian National League
- Queensland U17: third place in nationals
- Australian Diamonds Selections: Natalie Medhurst, Laura Geitz, Chelsea Pitman, Amy Steele.
- Australian U21 National Team Selections: Ameliaranne Wells and Chanel Gomes
- AIS scholarship recipients: Ameliaranne Wells and Chanel Gomes
I would like to sincerely thank Anthony Wood from the UQ Sport Academy for his support and commitment to the Netball Queensland 19 Years and Under State Team in 2010. Anthony added a new dimension to our team's program in 2010, his hard work and professionalism was instrumental in implementing great changes and improvements to our athlete’s strength and conditioning program. This ensured a rising of their performance level, creating a new platform for me as the State Coach to work with.
His knowledge in high performance strength and conditioning is outstanding and it is a pleasure to be work with such a dedicated professional. This dedicated professional was a part of a great team that went onto reach the ultimate success in 2010, breaking a 9 year drought to become winners of the 19 Years and Under Netball Australia Deals.Direct.com.au National Championship. Anthony is always a true professional and brings great knowledge, dedication and enthusiasm to his role as strength and conditioning coach.
Jenny Brazel - Head Coach - Netball Qld 19 Years and Under team - National Champions 2010
UQ Sport Academy services used by Netball Queensland
- Strength Training
- Conditioning Training
- Speed & Agility Training
- Field Testing
- Strength & Power Testing
- Flexibility & Range of Motion Testing
- Body composition testing
- Talent Identification